I’m on a yoga kick again ~ for sixteen of the last twenty-one days I’ve grabbed my yoga DVD and sat down on the floor in sukhasana (aka criss-cross applesauce). For 25 minutes I stretch, reach, breathe deeply, bend and flow through movements that do my body good. After two years of a lot of fits and starts in the fitness arena, my body was feeling it. But our bodies are amazing, in short order my body is functioning better ~ rewarding me with moving about more easily and with much less creaking and stiffness!
- Day 1 – my fingers couldn’t quite touch the floor in my forward bend — day 4 fingers touched down! #reasontocelebrate
- Week 1 cool downs – when it was time to stretch by grabbing onto my foot, I could not. Or even my ankle, just my shin. Three weeks later I could reach my foot with both hands! Whoop Whoop!
- My clothes fit better. Enough said.
- Having fitness under control has “magically” affected discipline in other areas. Discipline is contagious.
- I have more energy, a wonderful side effect!
- My planks still look a little more like downward dogs, but it’s totally fine :D
- Day 1 & 2: when drawing my legs into my chest and extending them back they felt like pillars. of. lead. but now they feel strong and move so much more fluidly.
- I’m just so much more flexible and have a lot more energy. I’m also feeling more balanced and strong. This seems especially important now that I’m in my 50’s.
My favorite yoga DVD is this one ~ Hatha & Flow Yoga for Beginners. (I’ve sent this to so many people!) If you’ve never tried yoga I encourage you to try the Hatha one first, when you’re super comfortable with that one, try the Flow. If you have a favorite yoga DVD, share with me please in the comments!